Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pipe, the free spirit in the bBox


          
University: Universidad Distrital Franciso Jose de Caldas
Field of study: System Engineering
Favorite developer tools: Eclipse, Power Designer
Favorite (technical) website: http://www.google.com

’’Felipe (Pipe) is the ‘free spirit’ of the team. He would never get tired, since IT is what runs through his veins and keeps him focused. Life seems such an open field to him, so he shares this attitude within the project every day. Since in Germany, he used every single weekend for travelling to a lot of cities (Frankfurt, Berlin, Heidelberg, Cologne, Nürnberg, ) and also other countries. Switzerland, France, The Netherlands, Great Britain. What would you recommend him for a next trip?’’      
     
Claudia Corches: ’’Pipe, you are a very charismatic person and we are all happy to be your colleagues. But you must have had a strong motivation to come all your way from Colombia to work here with us!’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’Well… I can say that even from the very beginning, when I joined AIESEC, I was very much surprised about the large number of job offers in Germany raised on the platform. And since I was learning German before, it would all fit quite well in the context, so I just decided to apply. Eventhough some of the people could not imagine that I  could actually achieve this goal, I succeeded: if you want, you can!’’

Claudia Corches: ’’You are still studying System Engineering, but at the same time, have your own IT company: Making Solutions SAS. So it is possible to work in parallel and be your own boss when you are passionate! But still, how did it all start and how did you manage so far with these activities?’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’Ok, our company is not as big as Fiducia IT AG is, hahaha! Besides, I am not alone in this business, my brother (Juan Manuel Goyes) and a friend of mine (Andres Botia) who were studying with me at the same university are helping me all the time. Anyway, time is always something that you can arrange depending on your priorities. ’’

Claudia Corches: ’’What was the most interesting thing you’ve done at your previous work places? I know that you have mostly experienced as a developer but also worked as a typesetter and operator.’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’Each job teaches you so many different things from shifts, schedules, punctuality, working under pressure, and so, you keep being better and better.  But  I remember one of them: I was working as a developer in a small company. So far, nothing special :) It was only in the end when I realized that our application was being used in more countries in south America... and the number of persons who worked at it was less than 5, including the boss and the marketing person. This made me so glad and proud of my skills.’’

Claudia Corches: ’’How would you describe the bBox Project?’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’Wow that’s a hard question! First of all, it is an amazing combination of human resources :) (8 people from with different cultural backgrounds) all focused on one purpose: bringing a change to interaction with banking software. Second, I also think it is the right way to break paradigms and that’s what we are doing. ’’ 

Claudia Corches: ’’I assume it opened new perspectives for you as a programmer. But explain us how it gave you the possibility to grow professionally.’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’I learned a lot here and, as most of the team members, I hadn’t had programed in objective-C before. Plus, I could also program a small application on Android which was enough to see that no matter the platform you choose, you still have so many possibilities as a programmer.’’   

Claudia Corches: ’’I am pleasantly surprised each single day at work of how a great working couple you are forming together with Delyana, and also getting along very well in Spanish or English with Paulo and Aldo :) What were the things to help you build these relationships?’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’Well, I don’t know what exactly were the things to help, but we understand each other good. Perhaps it is the way that we used to work, and also, the time spent together, who knows? But what it's really important is that we can spread this feeling to the whole team and make our relationships even stronger.’’

Claudia Corches: ’’You also worked closely with Paulo in the Android vs. Apple competition. What were your tasks and what did you learn?’’
Felipe Goyes: ’’The tasks were the same for both teams: just a basic app with some gestures to control it. However, in our team there was an advantage, since I had already had experience with JAVA. So, I could work with Paulo who hadn’t worked in it before and I think that, together, we did a great job since our application did everything that it should have done. In short, I learned that if you know the programming language, there are always some issues when you are migrating to a mobile application which you should keep in mind.’’ 

Claudia Corches: ’’Also, you seemed to me like very patient and calm, realistic and the one that, first of all puts an emphasis on the problems. Is this your working style: first discard unfeasible ideas and then think of solutions for the best ideas to be implemented?
Felipe Goyes: ’’Well, make the things simple and be realistic, that’s all what you need to solve any problem.’’

Claudia Corches: ’’Short and concise! Great. Thanks, Pipe!’’




2 comments:

  1. Very well Pipe, congratulations... mmm can I apply for a job in your company?... hahaha
    Att your cousin Jairo Galeano Goyes

    ReplyDelete